|June 30, 2011||Posted by Emily under Uncategorized|
I am obsessed with goals.
My middle name is goals.
I eat goals for breakfast.
Dear Santa, All I want for Christmas is goals.
So let’s talk about goals.
Back in January, I set many goals for 2011. Now it’s June 30th aka the official mark of halfway through this calendar year. (I don’t know which I find crazier: that we’re already 6 months into 2011 or that my Ironman is in 25 days. I DO know which I find more terrifying.) All craziness aside, June 30th seems like the perfect day to check in on my progress toward meeting my goals.
Below is a list of the goals I announced to the
world internet that I hope to achieve in 2011 and the progress I’ve made towards crushing them.
- Goal: Crush a sub 3:20 marathon. Spoiler alert: this WILL happen at Boston. Progress: this did NOT happen at Boston. My new target date for my sub 3:20 marathon is October 9th. Bring it, Long Beach.
- Goal: Complete 4 new marathons, including 3 new states for my 50 state list. Progress: I’ve run 2 new marathons (Boston and Vermont City Marathon) but no new states. If all goes well and I complete the races I’ve registered for, I’ll add California, Nevada and Pennsylvania by the end of the year)
- Goal: PR my 5k with a sub 20:30. I hate this distance so much it hurts, but I haven’t PRd it in 2 years and I will continue to die inside until I knock out a best time. Progress: Met! By one big fat second. I’ll take it.
- Goal: Finish my first Ironman. Progress: Talk to me after July 24th.
- Goal: Race a 5:15 half ironman. Progress: I knocked 32 minutes off my PR and did a 5:24 at Kinetic. Now I just need another half iron before the end of the year to try and slice those last 9 minutes from my time.
- Goal: Race a sub 2:30 Olympic Distance Tri. Progress: Only one Olympic Tri so far this year and it was the day after a triple brick. This goal will have to wait until after the Ironman is over and recovered from.
- Goal: Qualify for next year’s tri nationals. Progress: Not yet!
- Goal: Get my swim pace down to a 1:30 for races. Learning how to swim in a straight line and around the slower waves I always get stuck behind will help. Progress: 1:41 is my best pace in a race this year. Still have work to do!
- Goal: Get my bike pace over 20mph for Olympic distance races. 19 mph for Halfs. (Ironman I’m just going to try and survive the distance without collapsing off Big Red) Progress: 18.6 at my half. Again, still more work to do! Good thing I like a challenge…
Goal: Race once every calendar month. And by race I mean participate. As I continue to recover from the Stress Fractures From Hell I will be unable to really race. Progress: so far so good! I’ve completed 12 races in 2011, way more than once a month.
Goal: Podium in both running and tri races. Progress: I got third in my age group in a half marathon. Still more work to do (are you tired of hearing me say that yet?)
Goal: Complete at least 5 races this year with friends or family. Convert as many friends as possible to become fellow sweat-ers. Progress: done, done, done, done and done! Nearly all of my races this year have been with friends and family. I’ve raced with my mom, my boyfriend, my brother and many, many friends. I’m a lucky girl.
Goal: Recover from my current injury. ASAP. Progress: no broken bones here! Woot woot!
Goal: Learn how to change a bike tire. I wish I was kidding. Progress: *hands head in shame*
Goal: Complete my first century ride. (During IMLP does not count) Progress: Do triple bricks count? I have no actually ridden 100 miles straight on a bike without stopping to run for an hour. But ask me again on Sunday!
Goal: Become a yogi. (Ha. That’s so not happening. BUT I would like to attend one yoga or pilates class a week. That seems far more attainable.) Progress: HA! I DO own many passes to local yoga studios. Does that count?
Goal: Become more involved in my local tri club. I say this all the time and I never actually do it. THIS is the year. Progress: Again, it’s laughable. But I have become more involved with local running/tri-ing bloggers which I think is just as good, right?
Goal: Volunteer 4 times this year. Progress: I get a big fat goose egg for this one. And unlike things like my cooking goal (don’t worry, it’s coming) I actually care about this one. I am so, so, SO appreciative of volunteers I see on the race course, I really want to give back to the sports I love so much.
Goal: Strength train three times a week. Progress: I WAS doing this for a while. And then Ironman training started to own me. I’ll get back on the weights train after July 24th.
Goal: Continue to make training and racing a social thing. At least once a week I want to swim, bike or run with friends. I want to increase my circle of athletic bffs and meet/see more of you all as I travel around the country to race and train. Progress: Good! Although I train A TON by myself, I have made a ton of new sweat buddies that I swim, bike and run with. Thank god. They keep me sane.
Goal: Do not let Ironman training take over my life. Continue to work hard play hard like a champ. Progress: ummmm IM training kindofsortof did take over my life. But I’m happy to report I went to a happy hour last night. So I’m not a total loser, right?
once a week twice a month. Microwaving frozen foods does not count. Progress: BAHAHAHA. TGFTR (Thank God for The Rocketship duh). This man cooks many, many delicious meals for me. But I do toast my own bread on a daily basis which must count for something.
Goal: Take my multivitamin, Vitamin D and Calcium supplements daily. (I actually just got up from my chair, went and took these so I meet this goal today). I need to do everything possible to get strong bones since mine apparently all fracture and break when the wind blows. Progress: I totally suck at this. Note to self: start taking your vitamins again.
So, moral of the story is: I’ve got work to do. Luckily, I love to work hard (and play hard). 2011, I am ready to dominate your second half.
Do you guys set goals for each year? Are you making progress towards your 2011 goals? What goal do you most want to CRUSH this year?!